Well friends, summer holidays have officially ended and it is time to get back to work. In the past I sometimes found this time of the year a little flat. I would have had an amazing summer full of adventures and fun and then suddenly it would end and I would be returning home, back to my part time waitressing job or university classes. But not this year.
This September marks the two year anniversary of my moving to Milan! And as our Sri Lanka adventures drew to a close I felt genuinely excited to be returning here. Living in a foreign city does feel a bit like living on a extended holiday because there are always new things for me to experience and enjoy. I love Milan because there are so many cool things happening in the city and the longer I live here the more it is starting to feel like a home away from home.
Here are the reasons I love being back…
1. Even though its the start of autumn its still warm and sunny here in Milan.
2. Being reunited with my favourite cake shop California Bakery – those chocolate chip cookies are just so good.
3. Shopping at the monthly Vintage Market on the Navigli Grande the last Sunday of every month. Its great to spend the day wondering through the stalls and picking up cheaply priced vintage goodies.
4. Starting new Italian lessons at the Passepartout School on chic Viale Monte Nero. I signed up for evening classes and am really excited to start at the school tonight.
5. Only three more weeks and Fashion Week starts in Milan. That means the city will be buzzing with exciting events and fashion shows and I will be busy buzzing around the city and having lots of fun. I will be covering my fashion week activities on here so be sure to check in.
6. Planning my looks for Fashion Week. I brought lots of unique pieces over in Sri Lanka and am excited to style some cute looks throughout fashion week.
7. Strolling around pretty Parco Sempione and relaxing by the lake reading books.
8. Having evening apertivo (cocktails and yummy nibbles for only ten euros) in one of the cute bars in the Brera district.
9. Restarting my yoga classes and feeling zen three times a week.
10. Seeing the new window displays of the designer shops in the super-chic Montenapoleone neighbourhood. I especially love to see the visual merchandising at Marni, Dolce & Gabbana, Margiela and Valentino.
11. Vogue’s Fashion Night Out! A really fun event where the shops stay open late and you can pick up limited edition lines, goodie bags and attend cool events all over the city.
12. Shopping for the new AW season. Ok I have been Styling photo shoots for this season since back in March but it is great to finally start shopping the trends I fell in love with all that time ago.
13. Visiting the new Armani Silos – a four floor museum covering the forty years of Armani and housing the previous collections.
14. Going for prosecco in a waterside bar in the newly renovated Darsena Habour. Grab drinks on one of the boats which have be transformed into floating bars and watch the colourful lights reflect off the water. It feels just like being on holiday!
15. Eating slow food at the new Mercato Metropolitano – a food market built in the old train station. There are stalls from a huge range of local food sellers and even an open air cinema – so cool!
16. Seeing my recent shoots start to be published in magazine. Working a season ahead means once I Style a shoot I have to wait months till I see it published. As we are entering the AW season my stories will start to be published and I cannot wait to see my hard work in print.
17. Getting some arty culture and checking out the new exhibitions at the recently opened Prada Foundazione.
18. Finding eccentric young fashion designers to fall in love with at the unique concept store 10 Corso Como. Browsing the upstairs book shop and taking a juice in the sunny courtyard cafe.
19. Styling for new photo shoots and writing features for new blogs. I feel so motivated after my holiday and am ready to create some amazing work.
20. Continuing with our home renovation and getting a dose of inspiration at the beautiful interior design shop Rossana Olandi. Walking around the shop is like entering a treasure chest and every room is filled with something strange and unique.
And here we are, my reasons for loving Milan this September. Why are you happy to be home? Let me know in the comments below…